Monday, August 20, 2007

The Red Kebaya


Zura and I went to the ACMI to watch The Red Kebaya, at the opening of the Australia-Malaysia Film Festival. The 'ceremony' started at 6, with kebaya nyonya worn-Malaysians lined up greeting us before we entered the party area. I assumed the Malaysians are from the Tourism Malaysia.
The ceremony actually started at around 6.30pm with the Zapin and Joget Lambak performance by the Malaysian students. They did a very good job and hearing the Malay musics overseas made me want to go home.
We had dinner 'roti canai' which were catered by Zam-Zam restaurant. I love it ! While queing, I saw many mat sallehs ate roti chanai with wine. I was curious, I mean, does the wine goes with the spicy gravy of roti canai. Can their tummy tolerates ? I guess it should be okay because I saw they enjoyed it.
The screening actually started at 7.45pm. In the first few seconds, they showed Pak Lah's greeting, Malaysia traditions and of course, KLCC. I was so proud and yes, I miss Malaysia. There were a lot of mat salleh in the cinema (around more than half).
As this was my first time watching a Malaysian movie in the overseas cinema and surrounded by the non-Malaysians, I have to say, I was a bit nervous. I felt as if I was carrying a big responsibility to make sure that the movie was not an embarrasment to Malaysia. Similarly, Zura shared the same feelings. I asked myself many questions. What if Mat Sallehs laugh ? What if they walked out in the middle of the screening ? What if the movie does not achieve a standard that earn Malaysia a respect ?
The film started. I was awed by the movie introduction. Close-up of a red kebaya lace. That eased my nervousness. Hmm..quality shot. I let myself watched the movie with an open mind. The first few slots, were slow and a bit dragging. Anyway, i love the part where Latif went into the house and the scene entered the 1950-60s dimension. Brilliant! Remind me of Titanic.
Samantha Schubert gets a thumb up from me. Ramli Hasan, on the other hand, was a bit (10%) over-acted. Vanidah Imran's character did not actually stand up. Fauziah Nawi, what can I say..mat salleh loved her act. But, overall, I can say that this is a very good movie. Tak malu dibawa ke antarabangsa! The storyline is done with much careful. The Malay, India and Chinese relationship were briliantly portrayed in the movie. I love Maniam's wife when she answered to Mrs Reynold and Patrick Teoh scene when he was struggling with his sempoa. Simple yet deep.
The movie received a round of applause from the audience. Phew..!! I felt more relief than Ramli Hassan, I should say. I'm sure The Red Kebaya team is relieve too. It is not a commercial film but I must say that this movie is perfect if u were to show it overseas. From the bottom of my heart, thanks and Congratulation !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write very well.

5 - Ema ke Istanbul “Histoury 2019" [Jalan Jalan Istanbul] - Bahagian 5 - Oh, rindunya pada Baginda!

Bahagian 1 - Dari impian dan minat  Bahagian 2 - Dari KL ke Istanbul  Bahagian 3 - “Mommy, mamak ada ke kat Istanbul?” Bahagian 4 - Hati yan...