Sunday, March 16, 2008

Why I urge you to work while you are overseas.

For those who knew me, I am sure many of you knew that I always recommend you to work. For fellow postgrad friends, I urge you guys to do casual lecturing or tutoring while you are studying.

Why do I ask you to work here despite your many excuses ?

1. To reduce those non-academic related activities (aka wasting time)
If you have not noticed, many of us have their buttocks, ass and tummy (BAT) stucked on the chair and eyes glued to computer from let say 9-6. And, me, being a very experienced student, can guarantee that you only spend 50% (I'm being nice) of your working hours doing something relevant to your study. The other 50% went to checking emails every 10 mins as if you are a celebrity, bloghopping, checking all news from the Utusan Malaysia to Allah knows whatelse onlinenews, chatting on YM, skype-ing (?), meeboing, checking weather for tomorrow, e-baying and 1001 sort of non-academic related activities. Frankly, I myself do not know what can we do to stop this new era satan (internet), but one thing that I can think of is by making yourself busy. How ? By working.

2. To gain things that you cant buy.
Those are experience, confidence, speech language improvement, bravery, art of defending yourself, art of saying NO to oreng putey (because I know many of us still 'takut2' dgn oreng putey), the chance to increase the interpersonnel skill and WOW many more ! As I am a MELAYU, I know so much that one big attitude that slow us down from being active is 'inferiority complex'. Dont believe aa ? Analyze these when I asked you why dont you work ?

a. Eh tak berani lah.
b. Takut la.
c. English aku tak macam kau (Ema la tu..dia tak tau my 'he' and 'she' pun tersilap2).
d. I have to make sure I finish my structure first.
e. I dont have time la Ema.
f. I am not confident la.
g. Nantila, tengok dulu sem depan.

Frankly guys, in psychology, those are what Dr. Phil said as 'topic' instead of 'issue'. Whether you realize it or not, we Malays have a very thick inferiority complex in our head and mind. We tend to create reasons to hide our issue.

It is time for you guys to overcome this issue & fear. I may not know you guys so well, but one thing for sure, u guys are SMART and BRILLIANT. Want more ? U guys are SMARTER and MORE BRILLIANT than your fellow non-Malaysians friends. Trust me. I know.

If those guys from India who talk English berbelit2 (whom took hours to finish 3 points) could work, hey, u are Malaysians Malay, your English is better, simpler, straightforward than those Indians, so why should u think they are better of ?

Do you thing Aussies teach better than you ? Haiya, misconception. You guys are better, because you, at school/uni were used to giving presentations, learnt to structure the speeches, did impromptu..in short, the skill are already there in you. You just need a battle field to unleash the skill. Aussies lebih banyak pusing2 bebel2.

I used all those experience and improve them. Bukan nak cakap riak, but my students prefer me than Aussies, Indians, Chinese or Arabs. I've got good references from many lecturers and students. I never think that I am good, but I always thank Allah for the Malaysian Education system that provided me with helps. And you guys were educated in Malaysia too, so, apa yg bezakan kita ? Nothing. Infact I believe that u guys can do better.

3. English tak pandai.
Always think like this...you are born Melayu, keluar2 je parents cakap "Alhamdulillah..anak aku". They did say "Thanks Allah, oh my son". So, what do you expect if your english is imperfect. As if you cant improve !

I tell you, my English was terrible in my first year of teaching, that I received complaint like "Take a better tutor who can speak English properly". Sakit hati you know. Sedih. But, I learnt to improve by doing MORE tutorials, and Alhamdulillah, students can understand better now.

How do I improve it ? By using 1) simple English, 2) think before speak, 3) talk slowly, 4) use OHP & 5) prepare upfront. Always remember, you have the rights to say "Can you ask me slowly, I have ASIAN EARS".

I have lots of things to write on the benefits of teaching. But I dont want u to be bored by my writings. But, please, EMBRACE THE FEAR and JUST DO IT. You guys will stay here for 3-4 years..takkan asyik nak enjoy Aussie coffees and scenery ? Grab all experience you can here.

Do it. And if you want to ask me how, I'm happy to tell you.

For now, several friends are doing the tutorials, I salute them for taking the challenge ! Well Done.

No comments:

5 - Ema ke Istanbul “Histoury 2019" [Jalan Jalan Istanbul] - Bahagian 5 - Oh, rindunya pada Baginda!

Bahagian 1 - Dari impian dan minat  Bahagian 2 - Dari KL ke Istanbul  Bahagian 3 - “Mommy, mamak ada ke kat Istanbul?” Bahagian 4 - Hati yan...